Access FM (PDF)
Amps & Volts (YouTube)
Artistic Movements/Designers – Movement Summary Cards (PDF)
Bolts (US and Metric Thread Sizes)
De Stijl (BING)
Design Movements – Art History (PDF 6Mb)
Edexcel A Level Product Design – new 2020 content in the exam spec. but not in the 2008 text book!
Examples of GCSE Coursework
Dubai British School
Fasteners (This superb printable PDF guide will help you identify fastener categories, head styles and drive types, as well as common nut, washer types and threads. )
Metals Revision Sheet (PPT)
Nuts & Bolts (PDF)
Nuts, Bolts & Spanners
Packaging (Cherry Lock)
Phillipe Starck (BING)
Printing (Digital vs Offset)
Printing (Offset litho)
Printing (Litho vs Gravure)
A quick look at the key feature, process and benefit differences of Gravure and Web Offset printing:
- The gravure printing process has the ability to print a smoother image and more consistently on lightweight papers.
- Web offset printing presses have fixed cylinder cutoffs, whereas gravure presses have a variable cutoff dictated by the cylinder diameter used.
- Web offset dots are printed as a round dot; gravure ones are hexagonal.
- Web offset uses a printing plate; gravure a cylinder engraved with cells which carry ink.
- Web offset is an offset printing process, whereas gravure is intaglio (i.e. the cylinder comes into direct contact with the paper and is not offset).
- Web offset inks are dried by heat from a gas oven. Gravure inks contain a solvent called Toluene which, as well as being toxic, evaporates, hence drying the ink without heat.
- Web offset presses can print either long or short grain; gravure prints short grain, due to folder configurations.
- Web offset printing is suitable for 8pp A4 sections upwards from runs of 50,000 upwards. Normally gravure will print sections from 8pp to 168pp in size and is competitive for runs, usually, from several hundred thousand to millions of copies.
- Web offset plates will run for around a million impressions; gravure cylinders, which are coated in chrome, can last for over 20 million impressions.
- The set-up costs of a gravure press are several times that of a Web offset printing press – hence the size of run needed for the process to be competitive.
Printing (Web vs Sheet)
Product Design (Skip to: Innovation – Students of Product Design Episode1)
Product Analysis and Specification/Evaluation
- Access FM (PDF)
Smart Materials (Prezi)
Wood: Musical Money Box Presentation (OUTSTANDING website!)
Wood: Musical Money Box Presentation (OUTSTANDING powerpoint!)
- Print the following on A3: